Monday, June 29, 2009

First Two Days in Rome





Dear Family and Friends,

It is my second day in Rome and it is absolutely amazing. I still cannot believe that I am here, it is beautiful. We visited the Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, the piazza navona, the church of Santa Minerva, the pantheon, and the church of St.Ivo. I have to say my awe inspiring moment was standing in front of Trevi Fountain. It is enormous, the grandest fountain you could ever see. The spanish steps were absolutely beautiful, they are located in the piazza di spagna (Spanish Square). The staircase connects the piazza di spagna to a French church called the Trinita dei Monti. At the bottom of the steps is a large fountain called the barcaccia which takes the shape of a sinking sail boat. The church of Santa Minerva was very beautiful, the paintings and sculptures were breathtaking. In the picture above is a sculpture called statua del redentore created by Michelangelo in the early 16th century. The ceilings in the church were so colorful and detailed, it is amazing how people were able to paint these amazing biblical scenes. I have one picture above of a painting on the ceiling in Santa Minerva. The other two pictures above are of Trevi fountain and me with a new friend, Jennifer, in front of the Spanish Steps. Tomorrow we will walk into the most ancient parts of Rome such as the colloseum and circus maximus. The school that we are staying in is located 10 minutes away from them so we do not have to walk far. I will continue to update pictures and videos as I go.

Love,
Elena

2 comments:

  1. Elena, I love all the pictures. Fred and I visited the Spanish Steps and the Trevi fountain (many times). The fountain is magnificent. I especially love the painting on the church ceiling. It's beautiful. Wait until you see the Sistine Chapel. Have tons of fun. We enjoy reading about your excursions and seeing the wonderful pictures. Make sure you carry a bottle of water on those long walks. Corinne and Fred

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thrilled for you Elena! I loved the Trevi fountain as well, and just wait until you see it in the evening, it's even more magnificent. Love the photos, keep taking as many pictures as humanly possible.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete