Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sistine Chapel 7/15/09






Family and Friends,

I have already made an account of my time within the Vatican museum. However, while the Sistine Chapel is a part of the museum, I felt that it deserved its own post because it is truly one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. Upon walking into the chapel we were told that we were not to take pictures. Then we walked into the room of hundreds of people, each of them snapping photos. I completely confess to having joined in with the picture taking, I couldn't help myself. I did not use flash though, that is what ruins the paintings and frescoes. Within this chapel are the works of the genius Michelangelo and other prominent artists of the time. The history behind the Sistine Chapel is amazing, specifically Michelangelo's story. He was specifically commissioned by Pope Julius II to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Michelangelo had no interest in painting, he was a sculptor and wanted to continue sculpting in Florence, which is where he was at the time. However, the Pope ordered Michelangelo be brought to the Vatican regardless of his own wishes. War later broke out against the French and Michelangelo fled back to Florence without the notice of the Pope. However, after a victory over the French the Pope diverted his attentions back to the Chapel and sent what was practically an army to bring Michelangelo back to the Vatican City where he was now forced to paint with no pay, cheap materials, and with little assistance. A common misconception is that Michelangelo painted the ceiling on his back, this was not the case. He had created a scaffolding device to bring him to the level of the ceiling, but he painted standing up with his head tilted back most of the time. This painting position as well as paint constantly dripping into his face caused him to be temporarily blind. It took him four years to complete the beautiful ceiling. As our tour guide said many believe that Michelangelo was driven by his genius and others believe that it was God that guided Michelangelo's hand. Perhaps it was both. All I can say is that it was truly a humbling experience, and I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to have witnessed such as piece of history, such as piece of art, and such as piece of absolute genius.

Elena

1 comment:

  1. We, too, loved the Sistine Chapel. I was in awe of Michelangelo's work. Simply amazing. So glad you, too, loved it. Have a safe trip home. Corinne

    ReplyDelete